When we write Management, we refer to the processes around completing an activity with the help of, and through, other people.
Most definitions of management emphasize that management is practiced in order to influence and enable an organized group to work toward completing defined goals.
The management is evaluated through how well the managers and the managing group/directors succeed in achieving the defined goals.
Frequently, formal management becomes the area of focus, however, several management researchers highlight that management is exercised by any individual that is capable of influencing a group, formally as well as informally. In other words, a manager is a person who has followers.
Management is challenged when the market changes, plans do not work out, or the internal organisation is not (or no longer is) appropriate for the current situation.
Dansk Erhvervspsykologi A/S is typically requisitioned concerning managers and management when:
- a manager experiences difficulties handling a situation, an employee or their position,
- in the event of dysfunctional teamwork – both up and down the hierarchy, as well as between colleagues,
- there is employee dissatisfaction and stress,
- a new manager is being recruited,
- communicating new strategies and organizational changes, e.g. a merger,
- implementing new strategies and organizational changes,
- announcing terminations, relocations and closures,
- there are conflicts within a management team or concerning employees,
- a management team are experiencing difficulties cooperating, and thereby no longer meet expectations,
- a management team is challenged by the board of directors,
- markets change, new threats arise and must be handled,
- preparing and developing new strategies.